Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Techniques: Chopping, Frying, Boiling
- 25 ml Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 Celery sticks
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 6 gCumin powder
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- 160 g Dried split red lentils
- 1 liter Vegetable stock
- 400 g Plum tomatoes
- 10 g Tomato Paste
- 3 g Cayenne pepper
- 1 Sprig of thyme
- 200 g Silken tofu
- 100 ml Soy milk
- Cracked black pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Slice plum tomatoes in half and place them flat side down on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for 45 mins.
- In a pot heat the remaining oil, sweat diced onion and celery, minced garlic, with all spices.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and tomato paste, Lentils, thyme and vegetable stock.
- Stir well, bring to a boil then reduce the temperature to a simmer for 30 mins until lentils are soft.
- Transfer to a blender (removing the thyme), blitz to a smooth consistency.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Blend the silken tofu in a food processor slowly adding the milk to required consistency.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of whipped tofu finished with cracked pepper.
Other types of lentils can be used however, cooking time may need to be adjusted