Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 TBSP Coconut oil *
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, minced or finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper *
- 9 cups (2.2 lb / 1 kg) Pumpkin (peeled and cubed)
- 1 14 oz (400 ml) Can coconut cream *
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360 ml) Vegetable stock / broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crickets *
- Add the coconut oil to a pot with the chopped onion, garlic and ginger and sauté.
- Then add the thyme and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the coconut cream and vegetable stock and the pumpkin and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until the pumpkin is soft and cooked (around 10 minutes).
- Use an immersion blender to blend it smooth inside the pot. If you haven’t got an immersion blender, then transfer to a blender jug in stages and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Caramelise the crickets in cane sugar, let it cool down and sprinkle the caramelised crunch of crickets on top.
- Serve with some grilled pumpkin seeds as garnish.