Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Techniques: Chopping, frying
- 6 Free range eggs
- 1/2 Medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 Cloves chopped garlic
- 225 g Canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 g Chopped coriander leaves
- 10 g Chopped parsley leaves
- 40 g Whole roasted crickets
- 1 Whole egg (for the mix)
- 1 5 g Ground cayenne
- 100 g Diced red pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs / flour / egg wash for coating
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Put 6 eggs into a pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 5 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel them.
- In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped.
- Add strained black beans, crickets, coriander, parsley, egg (raw), and pulse to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add diced sweet pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
- Divide mixture into portions and form into patties.
- Start by flouring your hands, then in the palm of one hand, flatten one of the balls into an oval-shaped pattie.
- Roll a peeled egg in flour, and then pop it in the middle of the patty gently shape the paste evenly around the egg, moulding it with your hands until sealed.
- Roll the egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs again for a good coating.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150ºC/300ºF. If you have a cooking thermometer, it is a good idea to use it.
- Deep fry until golden in colour, drain on bloating paper.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.