Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Techniques: Chopping, frying, boiling, steaming
- 100 g Peeled beetroot
- 175 g Gluten flour
- 75 g Gram flour
- 20 g Rapeseed oil
- 85 g Water
- 5 g Fresh rosemary
- 20 g Olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 400 g Garlic greens
- 300 g Button mushrooms
- 50 ml Olive oil
- 2 Diced shallots
- 1 Sprig of thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 450 g Potatoes, peeled
- 150 g Butter
- 120 g Milk
- Peel and boil the beetroots in salted water until soft and cooked through.
- Blitz the beetroot, water, oil and garlic in a blender to a smooth puree, season.
- Mix in dry ingredients by hand.
- Roll into a sausage shape and steam for 30 mins. Chill before assembly.
- Peel and boil potatoes until cooked through.
- Bring the milk and butter to a boil.
- In a blender, blitz the potato with the hot butter and milk until smooth.
- Clean mushrooms, blitz with shallot, rosemary and garlic in a food processor to a fine dice.
- Heat oil in a pan and sweat the mushroom mix cooking off juice until a paste consistency is reached.
- Chill before assembling wellington.
- Lay out a triple layer sheet of cling film
- Place a compact layer of mushroom where the seitan log will lay.
- Place the seitan on top and spread the remaining mushroom paste evenly to cover.
- Gently wrap the seitan in the cling film to secure the paste. Chill.
- Rollout the puff pastry to ½ cm thick (23cm by 35cm).
- Remove the cling film, place seitan in the center length ways.
- Cut 2.5cm strips on either side of the wellington.
- Fold pastry over the seitan simultaneously tucking in the ends.
- Brush pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake @ 220C for 35 mins until golden brown in color.
- In a separate pan heat some butter and olive oil, add washed garlic green and sauté until wilted, season.
- Serve a slice of wellington with pureed potatoes and garlic greens.
Garlic greens are the leaves of young garlic, which has been harvested early. These can be substituted for spinach, kale or any green leaf variety.