Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Techniques: Baking, churning
- 500 g Banana, mashed (overripe)
- 150 g Plain flour
- 30 g Cricket flour
- 13 g Bi Carbonate Soda
- 3 g Baking Powder
- 125 g Unsalted butter
- 125 g Dark brown sugar
- 150 g Eggs
- 1 liter Whole milk
- 200 g White fondant
- 80 g Glucose syrup
- 6 g Stabiliser
- 25 g Caster sugar
- 50 g Cricket powder
- 350 g Demerara
- 340 g Butter
- 100 g Golder syrup
- 100 g Black treacle
- 1000 ml Whipping cream
- 5 g Salt (plus additional salt to taste for crickets
- 40 g Dried cricket
- 80 g Caster sugar
- 40 g Water
- Ripen bananas until the skins are black.
- Remove the skins and mash flesh to a pulp with a fork.
- Cream together the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Alternately add the eggs and dry ingredients.
- Last add the warm puree.
- Spread evenly in a lined baking tin.
- Bake @ 160 half fan for 20 – 23 mins.
- Chill, cut 9cm x 3cm.
- Bring Demerara, butter golden syrup and treacle to the boil.
- Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved.
- Add slowly warm cream and salt.
- Bring back to the boil and pass, cool.
- Glaze cake when sauce is warm.
- In a pan boil the caster sugar and water to 121C.
- Add the crickets whole and stir until coated and crystalized.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Heat the milk with the fondant and glucose to 45C.
- Mix the sugar and stabilizer together.
- Whisk into the milk and bring to the boil for 2-3 mins.
- Chill and churn in a ice cream machine.
- Freeze, ready to serve.