*Traditional Basque dessert, typical in Christmas time.
Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Ingredients – For the compota
- 800 g Reineta **apple, cut into quarters
- 100 g Prunes
- 40 g Corinto raisins
- 40 g Dried apricots
- 2 sticks Cinnamon stick
- 120 g Sugar
- 200 ml edro Ximenez wine
- 100 ml White wine
- 1 liter Ginger bread ice cream
- Make the Ginger bread ice cream.
- Peel and cut the apples into quarters.
- Rehydrate the raisins and the dried plums.
- In a pot, place the sugar, the water (enough quantity to cover the apples) and the cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil. When it´s boiling, add the apples and cook for 10 minutes. After this time, add the dried apricots. 5 minutes later, add the raisins and the dried plums.
- When the apples are almost cooked, turn off the fire in order to finish the cooking process with the residual heat. The apple juice should have certain thickness.
- Serve the warm compota with a quenelle of gingerbread ice cream and decorate with a cinnamon stick.
**Reineta “tabardilla” apple is the best for this recipe but it is possible to use other kind of apples (golden, granny smith…)