Serves: 4 Persons
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Techniques: Deep frying, julienne cut
- 8 Large lettuce leaves
- 8 Rice paper wrappers
- 1 Carrot, julienne
- 200 g Vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 Cucumber, julienned
- 50 g Basil
- 50 g Mint
- 100 g Roasted mealworms
- 200 g Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 125 g Plain flour
- 3 g Cayenne pepper
- 100 g Buffalo mealworms, roasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 ml Soy sauce
- 50 ml Rice wine vinegar
- 40 ml Lime juice
- 80 g Caster sugar
- 1 Red chili
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 80 ml Water
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne, set aside.
- Toss the mealworms in the spiced flour mixture and roll them around, making sure they’re covered but not clumpy. Pick out the mealworms with a slotted spoon or fork, shake off excess flour.
- Submerge them in the buttermilk-egg wash, soaking completely.
- Stir gently to make sure they are completely smothered, then recover the mealworms with a slotted spoon.
- Toss the soaked mealworms back in the spiced flour mixture and roll them around, making sure they are completely coated, but not sticking together.
- With the mealworms in a sieve, fry for about 1 minute in the deep fat fryer, or until crispy and golden. Remove from oil and put on paper towel, patting off excess oil. Repeat until mealworms are all fried.
- Toss some extra salt and pepper on while they’re still hot.
- Wash and julienne all vegetables except the lettuce.
- Place a tablespoon of mealworms in a lettuce leaf and wrap into a narrow spring roll shaped bundle. (This will be the center of your spring roll).
- Spread your wet rice paper sheet on a cutting board.
- Place a selection of herbs down first, followed by some noodles, a selection of vegetables and your lettuce wrap (Do not over fill).
- Start the roll by folding the back of the rice paper over the front, firm enough to make a tight roll, but not so firm that you rip the delicate rice paper.
- After you have rolled some of the rice paper over the ingredient bundle and started to roll, fold the outside edges over. Hold the roll firmly as you do this.
- Continue to roll until complete, set aside.
- Dipping sauce: Mix all ingredients together and serve.